Re: Recovery files offloading

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 21:16:41 GMT

Joop wrote:
> We have a RAC standard database using ASM for database and recovery
> files storage. The Flash Recovery Area is on an ASM device. We like to
> be able to offload the recovery files (backups and archive log files)
> to disk and then tape for use in recovery on replacement hardware in
> case of a loss of our hardware. But we are facing some roadblocks. The
> recovery files are in the Flash Recovery Area on ASM, so they are not
> easily offloadable from there. RMAN can copy recovery files from the
> Flash Recovery Area, but only to tape and not to disk.
>
> What options do we have to make the recovery files available on disk?
> Back up using RMAN manually (instead of the enterprise manager console)
> without using a Flash Recovery Area?
> Any suggestion is appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Joop Kaashoek

The Oracle docs say that you can only backup the recovery area to sbt and that if you do not have a sbt channel allocated, an error will result.

Have you thought about creating another backup job which does go to disk (not ASM)? I'd still use the Flash Recovery Area but you can also have a backup somewhere else.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net