Re: Need advise on Books

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 1 Jun 2006 08:43:09 -0700

Steve Howard wrote:
> > vvrk33_at_gmail.com wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > > Can anyone please suggest me good books for the following.
> > >
> > > 1. Oracle Internals
> > > 2. Oracle Performance Tuning
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Raj V
>
> To what nirav already suggested, I would add:
>
> "Oracle Wait Interface: A Practical Guide to Performance Diagnostics &
> Tuning"
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007222729X/sr=8-1/qid=1149167373/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-2443750-3020165?%5Fencoding=UTF8
>
> ...*well* worth what ever you pay.
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve

The only book I know of on true Oracle Internals (X$ views) was written by Steve Adams. I do not remember the title but if it is still available you should not have no trouble finding it via an author search on Amazon/B&N/Borders. Jonathan's book, Practical Oracle 8i, talks about how indexes work internally and includes several commands to dump traces on indexes, the optimizer, and data blocks. The book is in fact mostly current even for 10g. He has written a new one on how the Cost Based Optimizer works.

My Kyte's books are both good practical guides for writing pl/sql routines, sql, and some general database managment.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Jun 01 2006 - 10:43:09 CDT