Re: Shutdown abort and then I Lost Redo log files

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 1 Jun 2006 08:24:52 -0700

Steve Howard wrote:
> Jumbo wrote:
> > "peter" <hhh.database_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Thank You for Your Answer. Actually I just finished my OCP. I know this
> > > command but didn't know when to use it so I was unable to solve this
> > > problem but now I unstand so thank you very much.. and I will also
> > > keep this site in mind. From Next time first I try to solve my problem
> > > from this site and then ask here
> >

> > If you cannot open your database after a shutdown abort your probably have
> > 'checkpoint not complet' messages in your alert.log.
> > Increase the size of your redo logs or add more groups.
>
> ???
>
> Take a look at the subject line of the post to which you responded...

Jumbo, Steve is right your response is not even close.

Peter, look up point in time recovery. You should be able to use the current control file.

See Oracle9i Backup and Recovery Concepts Release 2 (9.2) Part Number A96519-01, Ch 4, Backup and Recovery Strategies, Section Online Redo Log Recovery:

If you lose the current group, and the database is not closed cleanly (either it is open, or it has crashed), then you will have to restore an old backup and do point in time recovery, followed by open resetlogs. You will lose all transactions that were in the lost log. <<

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Jun 01 2006 - 10:24:52 CDT