Re: ORACLE 9i - memory usage

From: Dave <dadomontenovi_at_yahoo.it>
Date: 30 May 2006 03:02:40 -0700

Thanks to all for attending this discussion.

Firstly let me add some information...

ipcs shows me the shared segment for this db: m 826383 0x43fe1ba4 --rw-rw---- oracle dba 12903632896 show sga shows me it is the same than sga: Total System Global Area 1.2887E+10 bytes

Fixed Size                   754680 bytes
Variable Size            6492782592 bytes
Database Buffers         6392119296 bytes
Redo Buffers                1167360 bytes

  1. Can I guess it is actually allocating 13Gb of memory?

Jagjeet, your tip related to 9i limitation is Very interesting: unfortunately the Oracle note you mentioned is related to Solaris (I am working with hpux 11.11) and it does not apply to 9.2 (I have 9.2.0.7).

I have tried without success to find in metalink something related to hpux: do you have information about the same problem on this OS ?

2) A correct way to confirm if my db is allocating the sga or the SGA_MAX_SIZE of memory could be to check how much memory is actually allocating.
What is the correct way to evaluate the current memory used by an instance?
Looks like V$PROCESS does not give the correct picture: pga_used_mem = 17298780
pga_alloc_mem = 119051092

Thank you again,

Dave Received on Tue May 30 2006 - 05:02:40 CDT