Re: Stroed Proc

From: Dave <solomons_dad.w.marks_and_whom_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 11:16:17 +0100

Geoff wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to call a stored proc which has one in/out param, a ref cursor.
> I noticed in the C examples, they declare a cda_def, and use that in the
> call to the stored proc.
>
> I am using smalltalk at the moment, so, to achieve the same effect, would I
> need to allocate memory, the size of a cda_def struct and pass that into the
> stored proc or is there some other way to do that?
>
> I am using Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 -
> Production with the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options, Release 2,
> on Win XP.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -g

This is very generic; I know nothing of Smalltalk, but if Smalltalk can mimic a C program in the way it calls the OCI functions there should be no problem. Yes you will need to allocate blocks of memory that are the appropriate size and find a Smalltalk way of representing them to the OCI functions.

How Smalltalk communicates with C library functions and represents the varying types should be detailed in your compiler manual somewhere.

cda_def is OCI7 which is rather ancient and can be limited; you might like to look into OCI8 instead. Received on Tue May 30 2006 - 05:16:17 CDT