Re: Database Creation in Windows (9i)

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 11:13:35 +0200

On 26 May 2006 01:59:32 -0700, "Adley" <adley194_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I don't usually work with Windows, so I don't really know what went
>wrong. I tried to create a database using command lines in Win 2000 but
>failed. After specifying the new instance name using the ORADIM
>command, I login to the SQLPLUS as SYSDBA and issue the database
>creation command.
>
>Below is my CREATE DATABASE command:
>
>CREATE DATABASE adley
>CONTROLFILE REUSE
>LOGFILE
>GROUP 1 ('C:\ORACLE\ORADATA\ADLEY\LOG\LOG1.LOG') SIZE 100M,
>GROUP 2 ('C:\ORACLE\ORADATA\ADLEY\LOG\LOG2.LOG') SIZE 100M
>MAX INSTANCES 1
>MAX LOGFILES 10
>MAX LOGMEMBERS 5
>MAX DATAFILES 255
>DATAFILE 'C:\ORACLE\ORADATA\ADLEY\SYSTEM.DBF' SIZE 300M
>DEFAULT EMPORARY TABLESPACE TEMP
>UNDO TABLESPACE UNDOTBS DATAFILE 'C:\ORACLE\ORADATA\ADLEY\UNDOTBS.DBF'
>SIZE 100M
>ARCHIVELOG
>CHARACTER SET US7ASCII
>;
>
>The error I received was the "Instance terminated; Disconnection
>forced" error. I use REUSE for controlfile because on my previous
>attempt, the controlfiles are already created.
>
>I've never encounter this problem when I'm creating databases on AIX or
>Solaris. Any ideas what went wrong?
>
>Thanks and Regards.
>=adley=

I would recommend using the Database Creation Assistant, coming with any platform.
IIRC, if the calculated size of the controlfile differs from the size of the already existing controlfile the command will just bail out. There is also a bug in 9ir2 in the ODM disabling the reuse clause. This applies to any platform (Oracle comes with it's own Virtual OS from 8.0 onwards)
This should have been resolved in 9.2.0.7

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA