DBA

From: JONNYBOY <wjharvey_at_gmail.com>
Date: 23 May 2006 05:35:19 -0700

I am a DBA on a project with about 30 developers. We have one development database with each developer having their own schema. We do a release once a week which we apply to a master schema. We then export from there to a shared area. The devlopers are told that a new release is available and they run a script that clears their own schemas out, then imports the afore mentioned export. Before we make the next release available, they might then refresh their schema several times. This is achieved by running the same script. That is, clears their schemas out and imports from the export of the master schema. The initial import and the refresh process is taking between 20 and 30 minutes, which on a business critical project, is time we can ill afford to lose. The database is at 10g, the developers are importing using a 9i client on their PCs.This client software cannot be upgraded for the time being.

Can anyone think of a better way to refresh the developers schemas so that the process takes less time. Can the current process be made more efficient. ?

Thanks in advance

Jon Received on Tue May 23 2006 - 07:35:19 CDT