Re: unloading data from 7 using 9i.

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 19 May 2006 11:04:14 -0700

Kevin wrote:
> I have a majorly irritating problem, so I was wondering if anybody had
> any suggestions.
>
> We are replacing an old oracle 7 system at our clients with a new
> oracle 9 system. Physically these servers are very close, and the pipe
> between them is very fast (~10 megabytes/sec). I need to migrate
> considerable quanties of data (~100gig) between the two.

That's not really a very fast connection.

> Now, we have reasonable control over the new server (but not root) and
> very limited (and somewhat unofficial) control over the old one. The
> data needs to be flattened out as it is retrieved and because of this
> we are using the pro*c as per Toms example here:

Why can't you exp/imp through the fast pipe into precreated temporary schemata and then flatten on the new server? You use V7 exp on the old server, V9 imp on the new server, and the server utilities to go between - usually compression before/after the pipe can speed things up, too. What exactly are you trying to accomplish with the flattening?

All you need is command line access to a user that can access the db on the old one. See http://www.orafaq.com/faqunix.htm#EXPORT

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.