unloading data from 7 using 9i.

From: Kevin <kevinherring_at_lycos.co.uk>
Date: 19 May 2006 07:55:48 -0700

I have a majorly irritating problem, so I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions.

We are replacing an old oracle 7 system at our clients with a new oracle 9 system. Physically these servers are very close, and the pipe between them is very fast (~10 megabytes/sec). I need to migrate considerable quanties of data (~100gig) between the two.

Now, we have reasonable control over the new server (but not root) and very limited (and somewhat unofficial) control over the old one. The data needs to be flattened out as it is retrieved and because of this we are using the pro*c as per Toms example here:

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:459020243348

The trouble we have been having is that the new server (oracle 9) cannot connect to the old server (7), because oracle dropped the support. To get around this we have a desktop machine with oracle 8 drivers installed and a copy of our pro*c program querying the old system. The problem with this is that the pipe between the old server and the desktop machine is very slow (~100 kilobytes/sec) so it is going to take weeks!

We cannot change the drivers on either server. The old server does not have the pro*c libraries installed on it (in fact strangley, it seems to have the 9.2 drivers on it which I cant quite work out).
We cannot use plsql as the data has to be flattened.

So I guess my question is: Is it possible to get a selfcontained executable (including all the oracle 7 or 8 libraries) that we can run on the old server to retrieve the data using pro*c? Then we can dump the data locally on the old server before ftping it to the new server?

Or does anyone else have any suggestions? Received on Fri May 19 2006 - 09:55:48 CDT