Re: Standby Database - convert working standby to primary

From: Gump <phefford_at_gmail.com>
Date: 18 May 2006 17:22:13 -0700

FYI, I raised the following question to Oracle through Metalink and got the response below. Note, the question below is slightly different to the one I raised in this forum. The following question more closely reflects my requirements.

QUESTION

If I have a primary database and two physical standby databases in a Data Guard configuration, is it possible to convert one of the physical standby databases into an independant operational database, leaving the other physical standby database in a data guard configuration with the primary database?

If so, can you please recommend the steps for doing this?

ANSWER

Yes. This is possible

When the standby database is opened in read write mode it is an independent database. So your steps will be

  1. Stop shipping of logs to the standby database
  2. Open the standby in read write mode