QUESTION - Standby database under 8i - expected behavior in read only mode

From: BD <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 18 May 2006 14:44:19 -0700

Hey, all.

I have established a manually recovered standby database under 8i on AIX 5.2.0.2. All is working swimmingly: I've automated the process which archives my redo from the primary, to ship a copy of the compressed redo files to the standby server, as well as the process of taking the standby out of read only mode, applying the accrued redo, etc.

Just out of curiosity, I attempted an insert on a table while the db was in read only mode. I expected an error message indicating that the db was in read only mode, but instead I got the following:

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01552: cannot use system rollback segment for non-system tablespace 'SMALL_TABLES_1' This doesn't seem quite right - I doubt it's a big problem, as this standby will only be accessed by read only IDs - but is this the behavior that would be expected when attempting a write in a read only db?

Thanks!!

BD Received on Thu May 18 2006 - 16:44:19 CDT