Re: Roll forward using Archive Logs

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com>
Date: 15 May 2006 12:02:17 -0700

>>My question is how will it rollforward if the redo for pending
>>transaction are in archive logs ???
>
>Redo for pending transactions is not needed for crash
>recovery because all such transactions are rolled back
>during the process.

And I probably should've said that the goal of crash/instance recovery is to recover from instance failure (that is, you only lost data that was in the buffer cache and wasn't written to disk when instance failed) and doesn't involve media recovery; all necessary information to perform cache recovery is in online redo logs, it simply can't be in archived redo logs. This should answer your original question.

Hth,

    Vladimir M. Zakharychev
    N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)     http://www.dynamicpsp.com Received on Mon May 15 2006 - 14:02:17 CDT