Re: 10.2.0.2 dbua changing parallel_max_server?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 15 May 2006 11:59:39 -0700

Don Seiler wrote:
> Last night I upgraded our 9.2.0.4 server to 10.2.0.2 using dbua.
> Everything went pretty well. However, one issue I have found when
> coming into the office today is that the number of parallel process has
> been bumped significantly. Before the upgrade there were only 4
> (p000-p003). Today I find the process list including p000-p149. Yes,
> 150 parallel query processes. The load on the box is just over 6 now.
> I have to assume they are related, there are no other extraordinary
> jobs running at the moment (when there were, the load was over 12 at
> times).
>
> For some background, this is an RHAS3 server with 4 CPUS, bumped to 8
> via hyperthreading. I just checked and yes parallel_max_servers is set
> to 160. Would DBUA have done this? Why? What do you think I should
> set it at? Here are the parameters in question. Any reason not to
> enable automatic tuning?

Don't know.
Don't know, but guessing from the docs it is deriving it from CPU_COUNT, PARALLEL_THREADS_PER_CPU, and PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET, so you might ask support if that is bogosified by hyperthreading. Check v$pq_slave to see if they are idle or busy during your normally busy time.
PARALLEL_AUTOMATIC_TUNING is deprecated, see metalink Note:199272.1, http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/initparams150.htm

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.