10.2.0.2 dbua changing parallel_max_server?

From: Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us>
Date: 15 May 2006 10:45:35 -0700

Last night I upgraded our 9.2.0.4 server to 10.2.0.2 using dbua. Everything went pretty well. However, one issue I have found when coming into the office today is that the number of parallel process has been bumped significantly. Before the upgrade there were only 4 (p000-p003). Today I find the process list including p000-p149. Yes, 150 parallel query processes. The load on the box is just over 6 now. I have to assume they are related, there are no other extraordinary jobs running at the moment (when there were, the load was over 12 at times).

For some background, this is an RHAS3 server with 4 CPUS, bumped to 8 via hyperthreading. I just checked and yes parallel_max_servers is set to 160. Would DBUA have done this? Why? What do you think I should set it at? Here are the parameters in question. Any reason not to enable automatic tuning?

Code:
SQL> show parameter parallel_min_servers;

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE

------------------------------------ -----------
------------------------------
parallel_min_servers integer 0
SQL> show parameter parallel_max_servers;
NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE

parallel_max_servers integer 160
SQL> show parameter parallel_automatic_tuning;
NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE

parallel_automatic_tuning boolean FALSE