Re: Max process error caused java connection pool and/or driver problems

From: entfred <entfred_at_dcemail.com>
Date: 10 May 2006 13:26:29 -0700

We are using Oracle 8.16 on an AIX computer. My JDBC java application hangs after a bunch of queries are done by 3 users.

I went into sqlplus and tried accessing the database and got this error:

ERROR: ORA-00020: maximum number of processes (250) exceeded

We had to kill the processes.

I have some questions related to this:

  1. I am using connection pool java code to connect to the database. There is a parameter that I recently raised, since it appeared that the application was hanging. After I raised the max connections from 5 to 50, the program ran for several days ok until today, when we started some "stress testing" (i.e. having more than one person run the web program) of it. How does one go about figuring out what to set this parameter to? I was going to try 25 next and eventually get to somewhere between 5 and 50, but obviously 5 is too low and 50 is too high :-)
  2. Is there any way to verify in a Java JDBC program that a connection from a connection pool is actually closed?

Thanks for any information on the above.