Fulll Exp as SYSTEM vs. Full Exp as some other user

From: Walt <walt_askier_at_SHOESyahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 16:10:28 -0400

Why is the exp.dmp file larger when exporting as a user other than SYSTEM?

We make a daily full export of our databases, invoking exp as SYSTEM, i.e. exp SYSTEM/******* parfile=pf.txt

Where the parfile is

   FULL=y
   GRANTS=y
   ROWS=y
   FILE=exp.dmp
   LOG=export_log.txt

I don't see any reason why we have to use the SYSTEM account for this, so I created a new user, granted Create Session and EXP_FULL_DATABASE roles to it, and tried an export. It seems to work, but the resulting exp file is about 400 Meg larger (1.8 G vs 1.4 G) than with the SYSTEM account.

Anybody want to speculate on why it's larger? I'd expect it to be the same. The underlying data hasn't changed (much), the parfile hasn't changed. Why the difference in file size? W2k3, Oracle 9.2.

//Walt Received on Wed May 10 2006 - 15:10:28 CDT