Re: Oracle 10g RAC load-balancing configuration

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 09:59:26 -0700

yong321_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:

>> hpuxrac is correct. you can not run RAC with a pfile.

> I tested using pfile on a 10gR2 RAC (on RH Linux). It works fine. The
> only problem is that you have to bring up the instance using sqlplus,
> not srvctl, or you would get
> ORA-27046: file size is not a multiple of logical block size
> After I create spfile, which is in my case 3 * 512 = 1536 bytes, srvctl
> works. I suppose but didn't test that if I pad pfile to 1536 bytes,
> srvctl may also work.
>
> Yong Huang

I should have been clearer. You can but there are many reasons why you should not. You just hit one very important one. The other reason is that if the init.ora files are different, and Murphy's Law clearly indicates this will happen sooner or later, you would have different instances with different parameters: A very bad idea.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington