Re: Oracle 10g RAC load-balancing configuration

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 10:08:09 -0500

On 2006-05-10, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:
> yong321_at_yahoo.com wrote:
>> DA Morgan wrote:
>>> hpuxrac is correct. you can not run RAC with a pfile.
>>
>> I tested using pfile on a 10gR2 RAC (on RH Linux). It works fine. The
>> only problem is that you have to bring up the instance using sqlplus,
>> not srvctl, or you would get
>> ORA-27046: file size is not a multiple of logical block size
>> After I create spfile, which is in my case 3 * 512 = 1536 bytes, srvctl
>> works. I suppose but didn't test that if I pad pfile to 1536 bytes,
>> srvctl may also work.
>>
>> Yong Huang

        srvctl will actually quite happily bring up rac instances running off of pfiles. Did it that way for months without any problems.

> I should have been clearer. You can but there are many reasons why
> you should not. You just hit one very important one. The other
> reason is that if the init.ora files are different, and Murphy's
> Law clearly indicates this will happen sooner or later, you would
> have different instances with different parameters: A very bad idea.

        Using spfiles isn't going to change that.

        pfiles and spfiles are completely interchangeable with respect to how dbca handles this consistency issue.

--

It is not true that Microsoft doesn't innovate.

        They brought us the email virus.

	In my Atari days, such a notion would have             |||
	been considered a complete absurdity.                 / | \