Re: how to communicate Oracle 9i with SQL Server 2000

From: Jeroen van den Broek <Jeroen_at_baasbovenbaas.demon.nl>
Date: 5 May 2006 10:17:29 -0700

sanjeev wrote:
> Hello Guys,
>
> I am developing developing an application in which i need to access
> data from the SQL SERVER 2000 to ORACLE 9i.
> I just heard about ORACLE TRANSPARENT GATEWAY.
> My query regarding ORACLE TRANSPARENT GATEWAY(OTG)as follows::
>
> - I have (Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.1.0) installed
> on my machine and OS is
> Windows 2000
> - Is OTG comes with oracle 9i product/need to download ?
> - Will this give the performance ?
> - Which version is latest
> - Is there any other solution for it ?
>
> Could anyone help me regarding the above problem.
> if anyone have solution for it,please give me detail procedure on below
> email id
>
> THANKS

Assuming you have access to Metalink, first have a look at Note 232482.1 "Gateway and Generic Connectivity - Licensing Considerations" In short: OTG should be separately licensed from the DBMS. Alternatively you can make use of Generic Connectivity (Heterogenous Services via ODBC), no separate license but functional limitations compared to OTG.

After you've decided on one of the alternatives above, read either Note 231458.1 "How to Setup TG4MSQL" of Note 109730.1 "How to Setup Generic Connectivity (HSODBC) for Windows NT"

b.t.w. [Oracle9 + MSSQL2000 + OTG] + Windows2000 + "I just heard about ORACLE TRANSPARENT GATEWAY." + "ITS URGENT" doesn't sound good to me ...
I will not comment though on the performance (or lack of) of this combination, as my only experience with OTG is in combination with DB2 on mainframe z/OS.

--
Jeroen