Standby database under 8i - 'create temp tablespace'?

From: BD <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 3 May 2006 10:51:09 -0700

Hey, all.

I'm on 8.1.7.4 on AIX.

I'm working with creating a manually recovered standby database. Things are going well, and I'm now taking a copy of our Production database to use as a standby.

One thing differs between our Prod and Dev environments - we do cold backups at this point, and we don't back up our Temp tablespace in Prod. If we decide to recover, or use it to refresh our Staging environment, it's far quicker to recreate the Temp tablespace from scratch than to copy the files over to the new location.

So if I have all of the real 'datafiles', but no temp tablespace files, how can I create a new temp tablespace in a standby db? The online docs discuss the addition of datafiles, but they always assume you have the original datafile from the master to transfer to the standby.

I could wait until our next cold backup in Prod, and then back up the Temp tablespace files, but is there anything else I can do? I've thought of bringing up the standby with its normal control file and creating the temp tablespace files that way, but that would likely screw up the SCN between Master and Standby.

Obviously, the 'sensible' thing seems to be to arrange to take a copy of the Temp files from the master database. But our next cold backup is not for several days yet, and I'd like to keep working at this. I'm just wondering if there are any 'tricks' I could use to recreate a temp tablespace without destroying its status as a standby...?

BD Received on Wed May 03 2006 - 12:51:09 CDT