Re: Oracles streams stability for 9.2.0.5

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 19:48:07 +0200

dbaplusplus_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> I presume you are talking about logical standby database and not
> streams.
> Logical standby database requires supplemental loggng. In our case,
> several of our tables do not have
> primary key/unique index, being a third party application, we may not
> add them as well.
>
> What is your experience in the overhead of supplemental logging because
> of logical standby database.
>

> Thanks,

Has been posted before: streams on 9.2 is not ready for serious production (say 24x7); in a situation where you can afford some downtime; well, you could consider it.

Logical Standby on 9.2 requires additional logging, indeed, and it generates a couple of hundred MB extra archived redo log per day. Seen on 9.2.0.4/64bit/HP Itanium - no activity on the database!

Setting up tests for both scenarios would take a couple of days, no more than a week. Make up your mind after that is the best I can advise (or migrate!)

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...