Re: How to Create Local Temporary Table

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 01:36:54 GMT

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:56:58 -0700, DA Morgan wrote:

> Completely different concept and technology.

Not really. Structure of the private storage is different, but SQL server local temporary tables are the same thing as PL/SQL table.

> Temp tables in the products that originated with Ingres (Informix,
> Sybase, SQL Server) are used as a workaround for problems related
> to locking (lock escalation) and the transaction model.

Actually, they're used for convenience. You simply return result of a query as a "local table", which helps you with chaining queries.

> We use arrays in Oracle for performance ... not as a workaround.
> Now that Microsoft has attempted to clone the Oracle MVCC model I
> expect we will begin to see the use of temp tables disappear. Albeit
> slowly since Microsoft customers generally don't read docs.

This disdain for Microsoft is hard to understand. I also have *x bias because I've been working with various Unix derivatives for the last 12 years. I'm very fond of various scripting languages, like PHP and Perl, but I will tell you that Windows 2003 server is very stable and nice working environment. Microsoft users are just like Unix users. I've seen idiots using all operating systems, they're not Microsoft specific. As a matter of fact, if Microsoft creates a decent shell and a scripting language, I'd be more inclined to start using it instead of Fedora Core, for stability and consistency.
Nothing has ever happened to me with Windows like what has happened with FC5. Idiots at Red Hat decide that they want to push NPTL and that they'll intentionally break compatibility with everything, in order to achieve that. Microsoft has never done anything like that. I also lost a job because I advised my director to by Ultrix machine called DEC System 5900, which was a MIPS based SMP Unix box with $100k+ price tag (THOSE dollars, not today's dollars. A gallon of pure gasoline, without alcohol, was $1 at that time). A year after, DEC tells my boss that they created Alpha and that he cannot trade-in the old one, that they will no longer support Ultrix, that his machine is junk and his investment wasted and that he really needs to buy himself a new machine. He did - from Hewlett Packard. He also thanked me for my advice by asking me to "look for other opportunities elsewhere". Nothing like that has ever happened to me because of Windows. That is what definitely turned me away from DEC, after 7 years of working with VMS and teaching people how to tune VMS, versions ranging from 4.6 to 5.5-2, the last VMS I ever worked with.

--
http://www.mgogala.com