Re: How to Create Local Temporary Table

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 02:36:13 GMT

> This disdain for Microsoft is hard to understand. I also have *x bias
> because I've been working with various Unix derivatives for the last 12
> years.

I agree to a point. When it comes to the RDBMS, I'd choose Oracle over SQL Server any time I can. That's if the choice were up to me. I have worked with both Oracle and SQL Server for some time (even spent time working for M$ itself) and have grown to appreciate how much more mature Oracle is than SQL Server. That being said, I have yet to find the time to dig into SQL Server 2005 and I'm curious to see what's new in that version.

> I'm very fond of various scripting languages, like PHP and Perl,
> but I will tell you that Windows 2003 server is very stable and nice
> working environment. Microsoft users are just like Unix users. I've seen
> idiots using all operating systems, they're not Microsoft specific.
> As a matter of fact, if Microsoft creates a decent shell and a scripting
> language, I'd be more inclined to start using it instead of Fedora Core,
> for stability and consistency.

When most think of scripting in Windows, they think of DOS command line scripting. But you can script quite a bit in Visual Basic. One of the things I like about the MS stack is that it all integrates quite nicely. I can write a VB script, run it on the server and have it integrate nicely with API's written to access SQL Server. For instance, I once wrote a VB program that not only ran a Data Transformation Services (DTS) package, but also modified its properties at runtime depending on the task my VB code was try to do. The APIs available between the MS products can make life easier if you have an all MS implementation.

And you're always free to run Perl on Windows!

> Nothing has ever happened to me with Windows like what has happened with
> FC5. Idiots at Red Hat decide that they want to push NPTL and that they'll
> intentionally break compatibility with everything, in order to achieve
> that. Microsoft has never done anything like that.

I'd have to disagree. Ever go through a NT 3.51 to an NT 4.0 conversion? Or from NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 Server? Things that used to work, break. I can't remember which versions it happened to me, but MS decided to change their IP stack from one version to the next. Broke all sorts of network components in software. Frustrating. Going from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003 was pretty painless for me though.

On the flip side, Sun Solaris has been pretty good when upgrading from Solaris 6 -> 7 -> 8 -> 9. I haven't done a Solaris 10 upgrade yet. Doesn't mean that Solaris 11 won't break things.

Personally, I think that Red Hat is trying to redefine Linux to meet its needs for its customers. That kind of goes against what Linux is supposed to stand for, but oh well. RH is trying to make a buck even if it ends up making others mad.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net