Re: How to Create Local Temporary Table

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:10:54 -0700

Serge Rielau wrote:

>> Completely different concept and technology.

> Definitely outside of your tolerance, agreed.

Thanks for adding value to the discussion. I'm not sure we'd know what to do without a troll on the IBM payroll to liven things up.

>> Temp tables in the products that originated with Ingres (Informix,
>> Sybase, SQL Server) are used as a workaround for problems related
>> to locking (lock escalation) and the transaction model.

> Is that so? I thought temp tables are often used to avoid redoing > expensive queries perhaps. But that's just the crazy person in me....

That's just you and DB2. Stick around here and you might learn something.

>> We use arrays in Oracle for performance ... not as a workaround.

> And obviously arrays are the only concept that can do what it does > because it's what you know.

If you have something of value to contribute please do. Otherwise do consider these quotations:

Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves   ~ Brendan Behan

Asking a working writer what he feels about critics is like asking a lamp-post what it feels about dogs
  ~ John Osborne

Any fool can criticise - and many of them do.   ~ Cyril Garbett

>> Now that Microsoft has attempted to clone the Oracle MVCC model I
>> expect we will begin to see the use of temp tables disappear. Albeit
>> slowly since Microsoft customers generally don't read docs.

> I doubt it.

Why? Because SQL Server is now leaving DB2 in the dust by adopting MVCC? It is a two horse race now mon ami. You've been relegated to the equivalent of COBOL running on AS400 and what's that other platform?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org