Re: Backup Sanity Check

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 20:52:28 +0200

Preston wrote:
> We've got about 15 client sites who's 'backup strategy' currently
> consists of running in noarchivelog mode & doing nightly exports. Now I
> know in reality it's neither a 'backup' nor a 'strategy', but they've
> been happy to lose a day's data, & it's served them well for nearly a
> decade.
>
> However for various reasons we're now going to switch them to proper
> backups using RMAN. They're all on 10.1 or 10.2 on Winx. I've been
> given this delightful task, & my first thoughts are to do the following:
>
> alter system set log_archive_dest_1 = "<dir> optional reopen=300"
> scope=both;
> alter system set log_archive_dest_2 = "<dir> optional reopen=300"
> scope=both;
> alter system set log_archive_start=true scope=spfile;
> shutdown immediate;
> startup mount;
> alter database archivelog;
> alter database open;
>
> Then:
>
> rman target=/ nocatalog cmdfile rman_bu.txt log rman_log.log
>
> rman_bu.txt contains:
>
> configure channel device type disk format '<dir>\back_%U.bkp';
> configure controlfile autobackup on;
> recover copy of database with tag 'incr_upd';
> backup incremental level 1 tag 'level_1_for_upd' for recover of copy
> with tag 'incr_upd' database include current controlfile plus
> archivelog delete input;
> allocate channel for maintenance type disk;
> delete noprompt obsolete device type disk;
> release channel;
>
> The rman script will then be run as an overnight job (the sites are
> office hours only).
>
> I've followed the above process on 3 test databases, then trashed them
> in various ways (deleted data, deleted datafiles & deleted control
> files), & successfully recovered them every time. So whilst I'm happy
> it's working as intended, I'd appreciate any comments/pointers.

Apart from the 8-ish commands (allocate device for maintenance...), nothing wrong, as far as I can see in a quick glance. But why the change to archive logging? Change in data loss policy, too? RMAN can shutdown, open mount, and backup your instances and reopen them, too.

Do you change the incrementals with full backups? I would advise so, in order to keep restoring time minimal.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...