Backup Sanity Check

From: Preston <dontwantany_at_nowhere.invalid>
Date: 11 Apr 2006 11:46:01 GMT

We've got about 15 client sites who's 'backup strategy' currently consists of running in noarchivelog mode & doing nightly exports. Now I know in reality it's neither a 'backup' nor a 'strategy', but they've been happy to lose a day's data, & it's served them well for nearly a decade.

However for various reasons we're now going to switch them to proper backups using RMAN. They're all on 10.1 or 10.2 on Winx. I've been given this delightful task, & my first thoughts are to do the following:

alter system set log_archive_dest_1 = "<dir> optional reopen=300" scope=both;
alter system set log_archive_dest_2 = "<dir> optional reopen=300" scope=both;
alter system set log_archive_start=true scope=spfile; shutdown immediate;
startup mount;
alter database archivelog;
alter database open;

Then:

rman target=/ nocatalog cmdfile rman_bu.txt log rman_log.log

rman_bu.txt contains:

configure channel device type disk format '<dir>\back_%U.bkp'; configure controlfile autobackup on;
recover copy of database with tag 'incr_upd'; backup incremental level 1 tag 'level_1_for_upd' for recover of copy with tag 'incr_upd' database include current controlfile plus archivelog delete input;
allocate channel for maintenance type disk; delete noprompt obsolete device type disk; release channel;

The rman script will then be run as an overnight job (the sites are office hours only).

I've followed the above process on 3 test databases, then trashed them in various ways (deleted data, deleted datafiles & deleted control files), & successfully recovered them every time. So whilst I'm happy it's working as intended, I'd appreciate any comments/pointers.

--
Preston.