Re: re-configuring db2 server for client operation? [comparison to oracle]

From: z <z_at_y.x.invalid>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 02:58:39 GMT

I'm sorry I do not know very much about DB2 at all, just a very superficial amount from running QuickInstall once.

Would the following be correct [DB2 V 8.2]?

starting from systemA on which DB2 has been installed monolithically [using the defaults from the Quick Installation Guide wherever possible] and systemB on which DB2 has not yet been installed:

copy:

  systemA /home/dasusr1   to   systemB /home/dasusr1
  systemA /home/db2fenc1   to   systemB /home/db2fenc1
  systemA /home/db2inst1   to   systemB /home/db2inst1
  systemA /opt/IBM   to   systemB /opt/IBM
  systemA /opt/IBMJava2-141  to   systemB /opt/IBMJava2-141

[Please let all of the above be a given. Thanks.]

Then, issue the following commands on systemB:

as user db2inst1:

  db2 catalog tcpip node systemA remote tcphost server db2c_db2inst1   db2 catalog database sample at node systemA

After this, issuing db2 commands on database sample should not matter whether the commands are being issues on systemA or systemB.

Correct?

If not, what can be done to the above procedure to make it correct?

[Alternatively, are there files that can be tweaked a la Oracle9i to achieve the equivalent of the above two db2 administrative commands?]

Thanks...