Re: re-configuring db2 server for client operation? [comparison to oracle]

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 6 Apr 2006 12:03:27 -0700

z wrote:
> To reconfigure oracle9i from server to client operation,
> two files need to be modified:
>
> listener.ora (for the server IP address), and tnsnames.ora
> (for user permissions).
>
> What are the analogous files to be modified for db2?
> I looked at a couple of manuals, but only got the instruction
> to re-install db2 specifying client. For various reasons,
> that is impractical for my situation.
>
> Thanks...

In addition to what's already been replied, your question implies that a machine is *either* a client *or* a server. I don't think this is true anywhere, certainly not in Oracle. All of my oracle servers (machines) act as both oracle database servers (running one or more oracle databases) AND as database clients (accessing databases on other boxes). The two are not mutually exclusive and no "reconfiguration" is required. As for the files you mentioned, the listener.ora is used by the server-side process ONLY, and the tnsnames.ora is used by the client-side process ONLY. Oh, and tnsnames.ora has NOTHING to do with user permissions. It is only a names resolution mechanism, used to resolve a name to a specific IP address (possibly with the help of DNS name resolution), port, and service name. It is actually possible for the client process to connect to a remote database without a tnsnames file. It requires a cumbersomly long connect string, but is quite possible. Received on Thu Apr 06 2006 - 14:03:27 CDT