Re: linux /proc/sys/vm/pagecache for oracle

From: <xhoster_at_gmail.com>
Date: 06 Apr 2006 17:18:10 GMT

NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 23:06:17 +0200, Fabrizio Magni
> <fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com> wrote:
>
> >> Does anyone know what this parameter has been replaced with on RedHat
> >> 4.0?
> >>
> >> I just noticed over 10G of my memory is used for file system caching.
> >>
> >> [root_at_mars ~]# more /proc/meminfo

<trimmed>
> >> MemTotal: 16032636 kB
> >> MemFree: 4643788 kB
> >> Cached: 10390004 kB
> >> SwapTotal: 8385920 kB
> >> SwapFree: 8385892 kB

> >In general, on any 2.6 kernel (not only redhat), you should use
> >/proc/sys/vm/swappiness.
> >

> This looks to be a parameter affecting swapping processes, not file
> system caching.

Memory that is being used by processes, and which has not been swapped/paged out, cannot be used for file-system caching. Memory freed up by swapping/ paging processes out can be used for file-system caching. So if you swap less aggresively, you will have less memory left over to use for file-system caching. (Well, assuming you have stuff to swap out in the first place. You don't seem to.)

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB