Re: 10g ASM Pros and Cons

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 11:42:19 -0500

On 2006-04-03, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:

> JEDIDIAH wrote:

>>> On the positive side:
>>>
>>> 1. It provides a single point of support so there is no finger-pointing.
>>> 2. It provides easy management of block devices (raw partitions).
>>> 3. It automatically moves hot blocks to the outside of the disk.
>>> 4. It is vendor and operating system neutral.
>>> 5. It, additionally, provides all of the features of an LVM.
>>> 6. It is included in your license so no additional cost for the software
>>> or its support.
>>>
>>> But does Oracle gain control over the storage system? I don't see how
>>> this is any different from letting any other vendor supply an LVM.
>>
>> 	That statement simply boggles the mind.
>>
>> 	The typical LVM doesn't cut you off from standard filesystem
>> level tools like ASM does. The typical LVM doesn't attempt to replace
>> the fileystem layer of an OS entirely. They just present a complex
>> disk device to the system as a simple one.
>>
>> 	This makes your points 4 & 5 untrue in practice.
>>
>> 	ASM is basically a replacement for Oracle raw disks.
>
> Why and how can it boggle the mind? ASM is for use on block devices.
> There is no file system. There is no file system to cut you off from.

	Thus the fundemental divergence of ASM versus LVM solutions.

> One of us is missing something here and I'm not sure which of us it
> is. What you referring to with ASM that has anything to do with files?
>
> You state: "ASM is basically a replacement for Oracle raw disks."
> Oracle has never had raw disks ... operating systems have disks > without file systems. Again I am confused as to what you are thinking.

        Not surprising really. You seem to confuse easily.

--
     Apple: Because a large harddrive is for power users.
	                                                         / | \

                http://www.usenet.com