Re: 10g ASM Pros and Cons

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 10:07:54 -0700

Volker Hetzer wrote:
> DA Morgan schrieb:
>

>> 3. It automatically moves hot blocks to the outside of the disk.

> Is this documented somewhere? Can I influence that?
> So far I've only seen that it balances across disks.
>
> Lots of Greetings!
> Volker

An Automatic Storage Management instance contains two background processes. One coordinates rebalance activity for disk groups. It is called RBAL. The second one performs the actual rebalance data extent movements.
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14220/mgmt_db.htm#i34800

My understanding, though I can not find the link at this moment, is that the rebalancing puts hot blocks on the outside of the disk.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org