Re: 10g ASM Pros and Cons

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 06:09:16 GMT

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 16:37:34 -0800, Michael42 wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Are any of you using Oracle 10g's ASM on a production system and if so
> what are you finding to be the pros and cons?
>
> To me it looks like a software based SAN for Oracle files. I have
> systems that already have a high speed physical SAN and I am not
> convinced there is anything to gain in using ASM.

ASM manages disks partition and maintains its own structures for allocations, multiplexing, extensions and alike. That puts it into the category of volume managers. Now, there are several questions to ask:

  1. Do you need a volume manager and, if you do, what for? Do you already have one? Is it adequate?
  2. What are the alternatives? Which volume managers are available that fit your needs.
  3. What criteria will you use to make a selection? Price? Performance? Compatibility with the rest of your software?

Unfortunately, I cannot answer those questions for you.

--
http://www.mgogala.com