Re: Missing Archivelog Backup Files

From: <Kenneth>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 16:35:36 GMT

On 24 Mar 2006 07:18:04 -0800, mccmx_at_hotmail.com wrote:

>Oracle 9.2.0.6 EE on W2K SP3.
>
>As part of our nightly backup procedure we do an RMAN hot backup as
>follows:
>
>{
>backup format 'r:\%d\%d_DB_%U.bak' database PLUS ARCHIVELOG;
>REPORT OBSOLETE;
>DELETE OBSOLETE;
>CROSSCHECK BACKUP;
>CROSSCHECK COPY;
>DELETE EXPIRED BACKUP;
>DELETE EXPIRED COPY;
>REPORT NEED BACKUP;
>REPORT UNRECOVERABLE;
>}
>
>We then use a 3rd part backup tool to copy this backup to tape. We
>have a retention period of 'redundancy 1'.
>
>So the sequence of events in the evening is:
>
>1. Backup all archivelogs from LOG_ARC_DEST into 'r:\%d\'
>2. Backup database into 'r:\%d\'
>3. Backup any archivelogs produced while the database backup was
>running.
>4. Delete the database backup from the previous nights backup (which
>was put on tape the night before).
>5. Delete the archivelog backup from Step 1 (which has never been
>written to tape..!)
>
>So I have a problem. Because I have a retention period of 'redundancy
>1', I end up in a situation where all my archivelogs from the previous
>day are never written out to tape. This means that incomplete recovery
>is limited. e.g I can't recover to 4:27pm yesterday afternoon.
>
>How can I avoid this situation..?
>
>Any help appreciated..

Change your retention policy to time-based instead of redundancy-based, i.e.

"CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 7 DAYS;" And get rid of the 3rd party tool and have RMAN writing directly to tape. RMAN is also capable of balancing backups between disk and tape, so that it keeps most n recent backups on disk and moves the older backups to tape - fully automatically.