Re: ORA-4030 out of process memory

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 9 Mar 2006 17:25:10 -0800

Try cutting pga_aggregate_target in half. Have you checked the 9206 patch set to see if the pga issues it fixes apply to your environment? I've been convinced (without proof) it doesn't work as advertised, just blindly cutting it seems to fix problems (for my 9206 system, 400M works good). But see
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/pat_presentation.html and http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/untested.html for real information.

Do you have multiple instances? Shared servers? How much physical memory do you have? What are your init.ora parameters that affect the SGA, anyways? sort area size?

Some of the recommended unix kernel parameter settings have changed over time, have you checked them lately? If you are not running out of memory, then you may be running out of a memory resource that is dependent on the kernel parameters. I assume you've seen Note:233869.1 and Note:199746.1, but go over them again anyways. What's your unlockable_mem, too? (This can get screwy if you let the system manage it, especially if you've got a large SGA, or bogus shared memory segments. The system can't lock memory for a process, even though there appears to be plenty of memory available, so gives back a message to Oracle, which then 4031's).

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
RAC really doesn't like being bored: