Re: Relocating undo tablespace

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 9 Mar 2006 06:40:17 -0800

Mladen Gogala wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 05:35:34 -0800, EdStevens wrote:
>
> > Mmm ... don't think so. My understanding is ALTER DATABASE RENAME ...
> > is simply making the necessary change in the control file -- while the
> > file is offline to the DB.. Doesn't matter if, at the OS level -- and
> > wile the file is offline to the DB --- you 'move' the file or 'copy'
> > the file.
>
> Had some problems with that in 8i. I haven't done that in a while. Still,
> I'd rather copy.
>
> --
> http://www.mgogala.com

Ah. No doubt copying is safer than moving. Always better to leave a fallback position. But, with a tip of the hat here to Herod ;-) . . .

"Rename file will *require* [emphasis mine] both the old and the new one to be present. If "mv" is used, he'll *have* [emphasis mine] to re-create control file. "

Again, not stressing, not nit-picking. Just explaining *why* I interpreted remarks the way I did. Let me buy you and Herod a beer ...   ;-) Received on Thu Mar 09 2006 - 08:40:17 CST