RAC unexpected reboot of nodes

From: alek <alexandru.tica_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 Mar 2006 06:35:14 -0800

HI,

I'm a quite new in the RAC field and I want to know if the following behavior is normal for such a configuration:

A few weeks ago we succeeded to configure an Oracle 10.2.0.1 cluster. The configuration was comprised of 2 nodes and the underlying OS was Redhat AS4. The installation went well following all the installation steps mentioned into the official oracle documentation. The OCR and the voting disks were configured using NFS. At that time we noticed that from time to time one of the nodes (not always the same) was unexpectedly rebooted. The system or oracle logs didn't offered any clues therefore our conclusion was that the NFS might cause problems. In order to prove this we decided to configure a RAC on a single node just for testing purposes. The OCR, voting disks and the oracle software were installed on OCFS2 partitions therefore no NFS was involved. On this node we configured 2 oracle instances which worked fine for a while but, from time to time or when the server is stressed with intensive SQLs the entire server is rebooted. After some searching on metalink we found out the Bug.4741921/4556989 (36) INSTANCE RESTARTED AFTER SHUTDOWN ABORT IN RAC ENVIRONMENT which is fixed in 10.2.0.2 patch. We downloaded and installed the patch but it seems that the strange behavior is still there. We notice, indeed, that the frequency of the server reboot is lower now but we have no explanation for what really causes the reboot.
Have anyone notice the same behavior on the 10.2.0.x RAC configuration? Are there any workarounds for this?

Many thanks. Received on Thu Mar 09 2006 - 08:35:14 CST