Re: SQL query to get SID? (SID != service name?)

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 2 Mar 2006 13:56:23 -0800

Joe Weinstein wrote:
> Hi, this is probably a real simple question... If I can get
> a connection to the DBMS via SQL-PLUS, with the tnsnames.ora
> entry listing the service name, not the SID, is there a query
> I can run to get the SID? I want to make an oracle thin JDBC connection,
> and the URL wants the SID. The service name doesn't seem to work.
> I would have though that the service name was the same as the SID,
> but apparently not?
> thanks
> Joe

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:1004630777647#9471389015214

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/functions165.htm#i1038176 http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/functions165.htm#g1513460

You can have multiple instances on a db.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"How can a house burn up and burn down at the same time???" - Alex