SQL query to get SID? (SID != service name?)

From: Joe Weinstein <joeNOSPAM_at_bea.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 12:25:19 -0800

Hi, this is probably a real simple question... If I can get a connection to the DBMS via SQL-PLUS, with the tnsnames.ora entry listing the service name, not the SID, is there a query I can run to get the SID? I want to make an oracle thin JDBC connection, and the URL wants the SID. The service name doesn't seem to work. I would have though that the service name was the same as the SID, but apparently not?
thanks
Joe Received on Thu Mar 02 2006 - 14:25:19 CST