Re: Why use Java Stored Procedures....

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 22:08:14 GMT

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 19:09:16 +0000, Gerry Atric wrote:

> Miggins wrote:
>

>> OK short question but probably not a quick answer....anyone give me the
>> pros and cons of using Java for my stored proedures instead of PLSQL.

> CON: PL/SQL is 100% Oracle-centric while Java is not. If you ever want to
> migrate your apps away from Oracle for some reason, keep in mind that all
> of your PL/SQL code will have to be ported too. My personal rule of thumb,
> anything I develop in PL/SQL I do with the assumption that it will never be
> ported in the future.

If you copy Oracle-optimized Java stored procedures to other databases without thinking, the procedure is likely to have performance, locking or concurrency problems.

If you did not take advantage of Oracle capabilities, you may be causing performance issues that can easily result in the need to purchase additional equipment and additional Oracle licenses. Thus creating the perception that Oracle is expensive, even though the reason for the expense is laziness or simple misuse of the environment for the sake of 'independence'.

Therefore, my belief is that using Java - if written properly (cost effectively) - must be ported in the same sense as PL/SQL ... with thought.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com