Infinite Rows?

From: <mike.jones_at_xenicom.com>
Date: 1 Mar 2006 09:10:43 -0800

While whiling away the afernoon a college enquired as to the maximum number of rows you could have in a table, assuming that Oracle "numbered" rows. I explained the rowid concept but then thought, well...

So given a table

create table add_nauseam
( monkey_id number,
  text clob
)

And this were partioned on Monkey ID (obviously)

and an infinate number of Monkies sat at an infinite number of workstations running an application to fill in said table, could we get a row with the complete set of Oracle 10G documentation in it? (assume HTML versions if easier)

I assume its a case of OS Dependent on the amount of Disk that could be present but wondered out of pure idle curiousity if there was some limit re: tablespace / partitions or even if eventually the ROWID construct would just "run out" of permutations? Received on Wed Mar 01 2006 - 11:10:43 CST