Re: Oracle RAC for scalability or High Availability only

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 10:32:16 -0600

On 2006-03-01, Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com> wrote:

> DA Morgan wrote:

>> Serge Rielau wrote:

>>> $5K US/CPU for hardware + Oracle RAC + 3 year support.

>> Hardware and operating system and SAN and fibre switches. Obviously
>> not the RAC licenses. But those add about $200K which still put us at
>> a fraction of the cost of 2 x 20 CPU boxes.
> Thanks for the clarification.
> It wouldn't hurt your reputation to not forget about 2/3 of the price of
> the _system_ especially when you accuse me of doing marketing.

	Just past the "you now need a NUMA system" threshold is kind of
the sweet spot for RAC. If you are either not quite to that point or way past that point then the value of RAC is disputable. Large NUMA systems are built to have the inherent benefits of RAC and smaller systems don't need the shared storage or the high speed networks.

        RAC admins should be more like Kung Fu masters then amway salesmen.

--

It is not true that Microsoft doesn't innovate.

        They brought us the email virus.

	In my Atari days, such a notion would have             |||
	been considered a complete absurdity.                 / | \

                http://www.usenet.com