Re: Oracle RAC for scalability or High Availability only

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:56:56 -0500

DA Morgan wrote:
> Last production RAC cluster I built ... 10 nodes, 20 CPUs was done,
> including storage for under $100K US including 3 year support agreement,
> rail kits, everything. Get us the comparison price for two (because you
> need one for failover) 20 CPU boxes from the vendor of your choice.
$5K US/CPU for hardware + Oracle RAC + 3 year support. That's pretty steep discounting even if the hardware were free. Mind to disclose how this breaks up into pieces? Or did you install under an ELA (i.e. Oracle was free like the rides at Disney world)?

Cheers
Serge

PS: I won't comment on the assumption that Oracle on RAC scales out as well as Oracle using SMP scales up.

--
Serge Rielau
DB2 Solutions Development