Re: Oracle RAC for scalability or High Availability only

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 15:13:29 -0800

Serge Rielau wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:
>

>> Last production RAC cluster I built ... 10 nodes, 20 CPUs was done,
>> including storage for under $100K US including 3 year support agreement,
>> rail kits, everything. Get us the comparison price for two (because you
>> need one for failover) 20 CPU boxes from the vendor of your choice.

> $5K US/CPU for hardware + Oracle RAC + 3 year support.

Hardware and operating system and SAN and fibre switches. Obviously not the RAC licenses. But those add about $200K which still put us at a fraction of the cost of 2 x 20 CPU boxes.

> That's pretty steep discounting even if the hardware were free.
> Mind to disclose how this breaks up into pieces?

You might be amused to know that I just received a committment for a dozen dual proc IBM boxes just yesterday for the amazingly low price of zero dollars and zero cents. It is great to have a good working relationship with your company. ;-)

Rumor has it they are selling more UNIX boxes supporting Oracle than DB2 and Informix combined. I wonder where I heard that?

> Cheers
> Serge
>
> PS: I won't comment on the assumption that Oracle on RAC scales out as
> well as Oracle using SMP scales up.

Real-world experience, documentation published by H/P, and work in my lab repeatedly demonstrates scale-out at 80-90% with most often the range being 82-85%.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org