Re: Fresher DBA!!!

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 07:55:33 -0500

Gert van der Kooij wrote:

> In article <1141041412.528642.261910_at_t39g2000cwt.googlegroups.com>,
> (bikkaran_at_in.ibm.com) says...
>

>>Hi ,
>>
>>As far as PLSQL is considered Db2 has its own set of structural
>>Prograaming . It is referred to as SQL PL in DB2 .
>>The fundamentals are same whethere its DB2 or Oracle. I had a 2 yr
>>of exposure in PLSQl of Oracle , and suddenly when I joined IBM I
>>was put into DB2 .. Though initially it was very difficult now i am
>>quiet comfortable.
>>
>>PL?SQL or SQL PL ....is basically used for server side programming
>>and that exists for both DB2 as well as Oracle or for that matter any
>>database.

  > The big difference is that SQL PL statements can't be run from the
> commandline. They have to be put into a stored procedure or function.
> It would be very nice if SQL PL could be used from within commandline
> scripts.

I think the IBM position on that is that SQL/PSM (which is the ANSI name of the beast) would be "just one more" scripting language on the client. Why waste good resources without adding function? (Not my position, mind you)

In favor of that position I must note that often the request for SQL PL scripting is paired with request for #define style substitution capabilities even more so that logic.
And now you're really in the domain of PERL et al.

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau