Re: Oracle licence question

From: Tony Rogerson <tonyrogerson_at_sqlserverfaq.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 08:43:09 -0000

>> Both SQLServer and Oracle have multiple data engines in their products -
>> a SQL engine, and an OLAP engine.

And you pay a lot extra for the OLAP engine with Oracle.

Can you write MDX in standard edition?
Do you have a reporting engine and client tool with standard edition? Does your engine supplied with the standard edition deal with aggregations of dimensional data or do you have to code it all yourself?

The extensions both products give you in SQL for BI are limited compared to what OLAP gives you.

And my point to the post and the thread is DA stated this...

>>> But if you compare equals ... Oracle Standard
>>> Edition to SQL Server Enterprise it is not. And even with this
>>> comparison Oracle has a far richer feature set

Which just is not true.

--
Tony Rogerson
SQL Server MVP