Re: Intermittend ORA-12519, TNS:no appropriate service handler found

From: Robert Klemme <bob.news_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:43:53 +0100

bdbafh_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Robert,
>
> How many physical CPUs (and logical, if hyperthreading is enabled) are
> in that server?

2 CPU with HT.

> What type of storage subsystem is supporting the database?

RAID 10, 1% of space used.

> Can you reasonably expect a degree of parallelism of greater than 4
> off of a dual CPU box?
>
> If you don't need to support parallelism, I'd suggest turning it off.

Thanks for that hint. I'll dig into that. At the moment there are 42 processes:

[root] r1:/root: ps -e | fgrep oracle | wc -l 42

(no kidding :-))

> Are you sure that you didn't hit some other resource restriction other
> than "processes"?

No. That's why I try to find out what's going on. Any hints how to debug this?

> Might you have hit the process limit (memory consumption) or have
> exhausted a kernel resource?

I don't think so (see below). Mem is plenty and CPU load is quite low.

> Check your OS kernel settings (sysctl)

I had a look and couldn't see anything obvious. Might need to look a bit more into this.

> and memory allocations.

[root] r1:/root: cat /proc/meminfo

MemTotal:      4151320 kB
MemFree:        744332 kB
Buffers:        126580 kB
Cached:        2699632 kB
SwapCached:        508 kB
Active:        2660996 kB
Inactive:       579012 kB
HighTotal:     3276544 kB
HighFree:       215104 kB
LowTotal:       874776 kB
LowFree:        529228 kB
SwapTotal:     4194288 kB
SwapFree:      4171008 kB
Dirty:             284 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
Mapped:         981652 kB
Slab:           111280 kB
Committed_AS:  1677032 kB
PageTables:      42460 kB
VmallocTotal:   106488 kB
VmallocUsed:      4432 kB
VmallocChunk:   101588 kB
HugePages_Total:     0
HugePages_Free:      0
Hugepagesize:     2048 kB

Looks as if there were plenty resources available.

Thanks again!

Kind regards

    robert Received on Mon Feb 27 2006 - 02:43:53 CST