Re: Oracle licence question

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 16:31:01 -0800

> What you mean - they use portable SQL as definied by the ANSI SQL standard,
> something Oracle doesn't do very well! Come on guys, catch up!! Talk about
> MS locking people in - LOL!

What level is ANSI SQL compliance does Microsoft claim - can you provide a citation ?

> One thing you need to watch is staffing, costs for Oracle staff here in the
> UK are a lot higher than SQL Server ones, also, you tend to need more; also,
> the SQL Server professional has a more rounded experience to the business,
> often trained in Business Intelligence.

Here's the published current salary costs of both sets of DBA's in the UK Oracle - http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/uk/oracle.do SQL Server - http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/uk/sql%20server%20dba.do

There shows that there is less than a 3-13% differential between the min and max salary ranges. Hardly a lot higher at all.

There is no evidence to suggest that managing Oracle requires anymore DBA's than managing SQL Server. Overall DBA counts within an organization are not comparable, as typically the Oracle DBA's are looking after more mission critical systems, and/or larger Data Warehouses, than the SQL Server counterparts. These systems also often have higher SLA requirements, which can translate into more than one shift of DBAs.

And there is evidence to suggest that managing Oracle is actually esaier than managing SQL Server. See the Edison report that showed that Oracle Database 10g requires 30% less DBA time, 20% less steps, and up to $36,000 less per year to manage than SQLServer 2000

http://www.theedison.com/research/gems/040401rdbmscmcs.pdf

I believe that a new Edison report is due out soon comparing Oracle Database 10g to SQLServer 2005. But if the last eweek review is anything to go by, the difference may become even greater with the newest release of SQL Server

"However, by making management more complex, Microsoft has discarded the one significant advantage it had over Oracle Database 10g and IBM's DB2—ease of administration. This makes DB2 and Oracle Database 10g look all the more attractive for their broader choice of development frameworks, management interfaces, and server hardware and operating systems."

Your last comment, which interesting enough is not the usual MS rhetoric is purely subjective, and you have no evidence to back this statement up   at all. Received on Sat Feb 25 2006 - 18:31:01 CST