Re: Another one bites the dust: Oracle buys Sleepycat Database

From: kwr2k <Kanwar.Plaha_at_gmail.com>
Date: 22 Feb 2006 15:42:46 -0800

> understand the sentiment but it is not going to change anything. Be
> honest here ... Oracle has surrounded MySQL. They can do the same with
> PostgreSQL or any other product in a matter of hours.

Maybe you're not aware but a entirely free product cannot be bought. PostgreSQL is not like MySQL AB. It is not owned by a company (for profit, that is). There is a database called Enterprise DB based on PostgreSQL which claims 90% or higher compatibility with Oracle. I really do wonder if Oracle can buy 'free products' such as those. So, although MySQL has helped growth of open-source software, it is the free (free as in speech) which is more relevant to keep the monopolies at bay.

Your comment somehow suggest that Oracle may be able to buy 'linux' (for instance) but anyone who has read the GPL or know about how linux is developed would probably find your statement funny. This despite the fact that your replies to Oracle related queries are serious and to the point. Why is it that 'good' software professionals do not find anything wrong with monopolies? Or with closed proprietory systems? Received on Wed Feb 22 2006 - 17:42:46 CST