Re: Another one bites the dust: Oracle buys Sleepycat Database

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 08:34:58 -0800

Mark A wrote:
> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message
>

>>Supporting one product versus, or in addition to, another for
>>political purposes: To what end?
>><snip>
>>Daniel A. Morgan

> To what end?
>
> How about protection from monopolies and violations of anti-trust, price
> gouging, treating customers like garbage, etc.

How does using an open-source product prevent a monopoly?

What are you going to run on PostgreSQL? e-Business Suite? JD Edwards? PeopleSoft? Siebel? Even SAP?

I understand the sentiment but it is not going to change anything. Be honest here ... Oracle has surrounded MySQL. They can do the same with PostgreSQL or any other product in a matter of hours.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org