Re: Database or store to handle 30 Mb/sec and 40,000 inserts/sec

From: Tony Rogerson <tonyrogerson_at_sqlserverfaq.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 19:39:49 -0000

> However, since this is in documentation, SS coders will ignore it and then
> whine about bitmap indexes causing locks when they use them
> inappropriately.

rflol - just what I expected.

Anyway, we need to read the manual because we don't have a dozen DBA's looking after a single database system !

> Updating a the value that is indexed in bitmap index requires locking the
> table until the bitmap is rebuild. Hence, Oracle's very clear
> documentation about not using bitmap indexes in an update environment.

Oracle's BI proposition is indeed very poor, unlike SQL Server proactive caching on its dimensional database (SQL Server AS).

We certainly do not rely on our DSS system to be 'read only'!

--
Tony Rogerson
SQL Server MVP